Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Hello from New Zealand!  It's been awhile so I just wanted to send out a few updates!   The last month has been really busy at work, and I was on call a couple of weekends in a row, so we've had more time in Auckland and I wanted to tell everyone a bit about work.

Starship Children's Hospital has been a great spot so far. I've loved learning about the New Zealand health system - in general, the care they provide to patients is excellent with the same capabilities as in the US (if not more, since cost is not an issue at all).  Every New Zealand resident has "free" medical care at public hospitals (including Starship) so they never even see a bill, but residents can choose to have private insurance as well.   Most of the physicians here divide their time and work at both public & private hospitals (they get paid much more for their private work, but just about everyone does some public work too).  Patients with private insurance get their care at private hospitals - which means much shorter wait times, nicer facilities, overall a better experience (but interestingly the same doctors).

For spine surgery, there is actually better equipment at Starship than at private hospitals, plus scoliosis typically isn't covered by private insurance, so just about every child in New Zealand that needs spine surgery gets flown here with their parent for their care.  It's great for me, because we see everything and have been very busy.  I've already seen a huge variety of cases, with a wider spectrum than I saw at Scottish Rite.   They also have a 3D imaging machine here to guide implant placement during surgery ("O-arm" with "surgical navigation").   We did not have that technology at TSRH as they wanted to train us without relying on it, but Akron just got it, so I've been excited to play around with this technology in preparation for Akron.

I'm working with 3 surgeons this year:  Mr.  Ferguson, Mr. Crawford, and Mr. Field.  All 3 are fantastic surgeons & people (but with very different personalities), and with varying surgical techniques - they all trained at different places, including US, UK & Australia.  It has been a great opportunity to work with them so far, and we have some great cases ahead of this year so I'm very excited!   When I'm on call, I supervise a junior resident for trauma cases, so I come in to operate and don't have to spend the night here (but have still been pretty busy!).  It's been good for me to do some cases independently, since I've never been in charge before.

In the last month, we have enjoyed exploring Parnell - lots of great restaurants and cute little shops!  There's a French market in Parnell on weekend mornings with great coffee, homemade food stands, and delicious crepes & croissants.   We climbed up One Tree Hill last weekend when I was on call - it's an old volcano (inactive) with great views of the city and surrounding water - but otherwise the call weekends were pretty busy so we didn't get out of the city.

Ross spoiled me for my birthday last week with flowers, chocolate, & some dance lessons for our wedding first dance -  well done Ross, well done :)   I also opened up some packages from my thoughtful siblings & had a fun gift arrive in the mail from Mom & Dad - I am so lucky for my family!!!  Anyway, here are some photos:


Starship Hospital Lobby:






View from clinic rooms:






One Tree Hill:



Auckland Domain, on my way back home everyday - I enjoy passing the Swan family :)



Birthday Flowers:

Birthday Dinner - I was super amused that we went to a fancy Steak & Seafood restaurant, and Ross ordered the "Craft IPA" and it came in a can that was labeled "Beer."  They don't mess around with fancy names here haha.



From John & Lisa:

 Tablecloth/Shawl/Cover-up from Lisa (perfect for this year!):


(AK - your slippers from ACH gift store made the trip!)

New Jacket from John:



 Trim Flat White from the hospital - they get pretty creative with the "Cafe Art"


We did take a little road trip to Roturua last weekend - will post an update soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Raglan

Raglan Last weekend (11/10/18), we drove down to Raglan - it's a beautiful little town known for its views and for being a surf hub o...